Hello! We’re Tom and Marlene England, owners of Dancing Bear Toys and Gifts in Downtown Frederick, Maryland. We opened our independent specialty toy store in 2000 and have been having fun ever since!
Our mission at Dancing Bear is simple: Put some play in everyone’s day! You can read more about our business’s core values here.
We do our best to ensure that Dancing Bear makes a positive difference in the lives of children, families, and our community. Thanks for supporting our family business!
Hometown: Williamsburg, VA
Favorite toy then: Rock ‘em, Sock ‘em Robots
Favorite toy now: Lunastix
Games on my play list: YamSlam, Make 5, Sort It Out
Best part of owning a toy store: Getting to ride the Plasma Car
Hometown: Martinsburg, WV
Favorite toy then: Sock monkey
Favorite toy now: Sock monkey
Games on my play list: Pit, Bananagrams, Flinch
Best part of owning a toy store: Watching grown-ups act like kids again
We’ve been married since 1988 and are the proud parents of two teenage boys. Our sons were four and eight years old when we opened Dancing Bear in 2000. Now the oldest is off to college! Time really does fly when you’re having fun.
- We love to have fun. That’s why our store is one of the happiest places in Frederick. Just try to visit the Bear without smiling. It can’t be done!
- We believe in the importance of play. Kids need it, adults need it…everyone wins when you put some play in your day.
- We go above and beyond for our customers. Got a special request? Let us know. Running late for a birthday party? Call ahead and we’ll wrap up a gift and meet you at the curb.
- We support Downtown Frederick. Is there a cooler downtown anywhere? We don’t think so. We are proud to participate in the Downtown Frederick Partnership and the Tourism Council of Frederick County.
- We care—and we share. In addition to supporting numerous local charities that help children in need, we support the Honduras Scholarship Program that helps students in impoverished areas attend school past the sixth grade.